Youth Guide to the Juvenile Court System
This guide was created by youth in Philadelphia with experience in the juvenile justice system. It explains some of the difficult terms youth may hear during the court process and gives a look into what the average process is like. It is in no way a replacement or substitute for talking with your lawyer.
Topics covered in this guide include:
- Your rights in the juvenile court process
- Important dates and contact information
- Words and terms you should know
- What to do if you are in detention
- Tips from youth about detention
- How to prepare for cout
- What happens in court
- What happens if you are "adjudicated delinquent"
- Consequences of a juvenile record
- Sample calendar
- List of resources
Juveniles for Justice would like to thank the Philadelphia Department of Human Services for publishing this guide and for their continued support of Juvenile Law Center's youth engagement programs.