Emancipation, or Living Away From Your Parents, in Pennsylvania

Juvenile Law Center,

Many people believe that “emancipation” is a simple process that allows kids under the age of 18 to no longer be subjected to their parents’ rules, authority, or opinions.

However, emancipation is much more complicated. Generally, a parent has a legal responsibility to care for their child until the child turns 18. In Pennsylvania, children under the age of 18 may be granted “emancipated minor” status and be given the status of an adult for very specific and limited purposes that do not require going to court.

If you are not getting along with your parents, there are many services available to help handle the situation. You may live with another relative or trusted adult with your parents’ permission.

This fact sheet addresses some of the most common questions about living away from your parents.