Webinar: Post-Discharge Housing Options for Youth with Disabilities
We're partnering with the Support Center for Child Advocates to produce a webinar training series for child welfare and juvenile justice professionals! Youth with disabilities are significantly over-represented in both the child welfare system and the juvenile justice system, and planning for the transition from those systems to a successful adulthood presents unique challenges. Support Center for Child Advocates, Center for Excellence in Advocacy is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors to offer continuing education for social workers, marriage and family therapists and professional counselors. Support Center for Child Advocates, Center for Excellence in Advocacy maintains responsibility for the program(s).
Finding an appropriate and affordable living arrangement for youth transitioning to adulthood from the child welfare and juvenile justice systems is one of the most challenging aspects of the transition planning process. This task can be even more challenging when the young adult also has a special need or disability.
In this webinar, we will hear from experts about the types of resources, programs and benefits that case workers and advocates can access to help support a sustainable housing plan. We will also learn about efforts at the state and local level to increase the housing options available to transition aged-youth. Finally, we will get a tour of the search tool provided at PAHousingSearch.com, a resource that can enhance our capacity to find housing for transition aged youth.
- Ben J. Laudermilch, Executive Housing Director, PA Department of Human Services, Office of Social Programs
- Mary Penny, Statewide Housing Coordinator, Self-Determination Housing Project of Pennsylvania
- Jenny Pokempner, Child Welfare Policy Director, Juvenile Law Center
- Sheila Roberts, Region Support Manager, Housing Locator
- Alyssa Schatz, Vice President, Advocacy at Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania