Senior Communications Associate
Juvenile Law Center advocates for rights, dignity, equity and opportunity for all youth in the child welfare and justice systems.
Founded in 1975, Juvenile Law Center is the first non-profit, public interest law firm for children in the country. Through litigation, appellate advocacy and submission of amicus (friend-of-the-court) briefs, policy reform, public education, training, consulting, and strategic communications, we fight for children who come into contact with the child welfare and justice systems. Widely published and internationally recognized as leaders in the field, Juvenile Law Center has substantially shaped the development of law and policy on behalf of youth. We strive to ensure that laws, policies, and practices affecting youth advance racial and economic equity and are rooted in research, consistent with children’s unique developmental characteristics, and reflective of international human rights values. Current issues can be found here.
Juvenile Law Center is committed to advancing equity both internally and in our advocacy work. We recognize the urgency and necessity of actively building and supporting diverse leadership at Juvenile Law Center and in the field more broadly. We are committed to actively recruiting and hiring from communities most impacted by our work. Applicants working to advance equity and who identify with these impacted communities are strongly encouraged to apply and self-identify during the application process.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Associate is an integral member of Juvenile Law Center’s communications and development teams and provides substantial communications and marketing support to the legal team. The Senior Communications Associate contributes to Juvenile Law Center’s strategic communications and development projects, and supports the Director of Communications to ensure that all communication plans are maximized and fully integrated.
The Senior Communications Associate is responsible for implementing marketing strategies and digital engagement that supports Juvenile Law Center’s fundraising and legal advocacy work. This position is expected to stay up-to-date on digital and marketing best practices, create benchmarks for marketing and digital strategies, and support an analytics strategy to evaluate these efforts. This position is the primary project coordinator for digital and print deliverables and has hands-on involvement in Juvenile Law Center’s marketing across multiple departments. The position is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the website as well as the implementation of Juvenile Law Center’s overarching website strategy.
This position requires a team player who is flexible and can multitask, sometimes responding to immediate needs while supporting longer term projects. The Senior Communications Associate must have the ability to work collaboratively with staff and other stakeholders who have varying degrees of communications and/or digital fluency.
Support strategic communications (internal and external):
- Support the Director of Communications in implementing communications strategies for known and developing audiences
- Implement various development, communications and marketing campaigns and projects
- Contribute to multi-year strategic planning by working with management to assess digital engagement strategies as part of broader strategic communications plan
- Support Director of Communications on writing and editing marketing copy and provide proofreading support as needed
- Attend monthly litigation rounds and monthly project meetings, as needed, to support the Director of Communications, Director of Development, and legal team to develop and implement communications strategies for new and ongoing projects
Provide general oversight of Juvenile Law Center’s brand and digital strategy:
- Provide primary administration for Juvenile Law Center’s website, overseeing technical assistance contract, project managing periodic upgrades, advising on best use of website to support broader communications, development, and advocacy efforts
- Administer email marketing efforts; create and send emails, work with Donor Relations Manager to maintain email lists in Pardot & Salesforce, and implement ongoing email growth strategy
- Ensure all marketing and digital strategies/projects/workflow/deliverables provide value to the Director of Communications, Director of Development, executive leadership, and align with business goals and objectives. When possible, advise staff on digital opportunities and/or best use of existing digital assets to support broader communications, development, and advocacy efforts
- Project manage the creation of public facing print and digital communications, such as letterhead, brochures, newsletters, emails, invitations, event promotion, flyers, and other print/digital communications collateral
- Support the Director of Communications in social media strategy by providing social analytics, assisting with Instagram, running Facebook ads as needed, and participating in general social media work for department coverage on occasion
- Steward brand strategy: ensure all public-facing communications adhere to Juvenile Law Center brand standards, and communicate brand standards to all staff
- Support the Director of Development in implementing targeted marketing and digital strategies to support development goals
- Oversee Juvenile Law Center’s analytics strategy; develop regular analytics reports for internal use
- Create graphics and visuals to support the work of Juvenile Law Center; oversee graphic design projects for all organizational assets
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Journalism, Advertising, Communications or related field, or significant relevant experience; portfolio of relevant previous projects highly preferred
- Familiarity with HTML and other WYSIWYG website models (Drupal proficiency is a plus)
- Fluency in email marketing programs (Pardot knowledge is a plus)
- Proficient understanding and use of graphic design programs (e.g. Illustrator) is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
The Senior Communications Associate reports to the Director of Communications.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The minimum starting salary for this position is $46,000. Juvenile Law Center offers excellent health care benefits, disability insurance and life insurance.
Send cover letter describing interests and experience, a resume, list of three references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list the job title in the subject field. Applicants may also send in samples of prior design work or a portfolio demonstrating prior work, however, this is optional. In your cover letter, please let us know how you heard of this position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Statement on Diversity and Inclusion:
Juvenile Law Center’s mission is to advocate for rights, dignity, equity, and opportunity in the child welfare and justice systems. The diversity of our staff is critical to fulfilling this mission.
Juvenile Law Center is committed to cultivating an inclusive space that affirms and celebrates the backgrounds, learned and lived expertise, whole identities, and individual perspectives of our staff. We are committed to the diversity of our staff as it pertains to race, color, ethnicity, class, sex, marital or parental status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, size, disability, religion, national origin, and/or child welfare or juvenile or criminal justice involvement, including prior record of arrest, adjudication, or conviction. Applicants of all backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to self-identify during the application process.
Juvenile Law Center is an equal opportunity employer.